Search Search

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm a new student. How do I obtain a new ID card?

Start by sending an e-mail to with your UID number and a digital photo of yourself following the below parameters:

  • Any passport photo
  • A non-passport photo fitting the following requirements:
    • The photo must be of only the student (no group photos)
    • The photo must be taken from directly in front of the student (no side angles)
    • The photo must be in color
    • The photo must have a solid background
    • No sunglasses, hats, hoods, masks, etc.
    • JPEG format, under 1 MB if possible

If your photo fails to meet one or more of these requirements, you will be notified and asked to resubmit the photo.

How do I get my card to work for building access?

Initially, cards must be activated for lab building access by a department administrator or supervisor.

Card Services does not handle door permissions; that function is handled exclusively by Campus Security. Security can be reached via e-mail at or by telephone at 626-395-4701.

How do I report a lost ID card or request a replacement card?

Use the IMSS help system to report a lost card or request a replacement. See our help page for details.

What is the fee for replacing a lost ID card?

The fee to replace a lost ID card is $30.

I’ve submitted an online request for a lost card. How long does it usually take to receive my card in the mail?

Cards sent out in the morning normally arrive the very next business day. If you sent a request for a card and have not received your card in the mail the next day, please contact us.